Everyday Energy Tips
Chapter 1 - Save Energy and Money Today
Chapter 2 - Your Home’s Energy Use
Chapter 3 - Insulation and Sealing Air Leaks
Chapter 4 - Heating and Cooling
Chapter 5 - Water Heating
Chapter 6 - Windows
Save Energy and Money Today
Tips to Save Energy Today
• Set your thermostat comfortably low in the winter and comfortably high in the
summer. Install a programmable thermostat that is compatible with your heating
• Use compact fluorescent light bulbs.
• Air dry dishes instead of using your dishwasher’s drying cycle.
• Turn off your computer and monitor when not in use.
• Plug home electronics, such as TVs and DVD players, into power strips; turn the
power strips off when the equipment is not in use (TVs and DVDs in standby
mode still use several watts of power).
• Lower the thermostat on your hot water heater to 120° F.
• Take short showers instead of baths.
• Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.