Module 1 - SLPTERRORISM AND DOMESTIC TERRORISM DEFINITIONS AND THEORY
In the case assignment you are required to identify three different domestic terrorist groups and answer specific questions pertaining to their operations, values, and tactics. One specific group, the Weathermen, operated in the 1960s and 1970s. They were an outgrowth of the U.S. anti-Vietnam War movement and the core leadership group within that movement the Student’s for a Democratic Society. I have provided you significant background on terrorism, domestic groups, theory, terrorist levels and terrorist group differences. In the case of the U.S., groups from all sides of the spectrum have emerged and disappeared. In this case, the Weathermen have dissolved but many of its leaders hold positions of prestige and trust throughout the U.S. This aspect of the group makes its study unique to issues within domestic terrorism. And, a pertinent place to begin the SLP. Note that I have provided no specific background reference to this group. If you research and are fatally unable to find any information contact the professor for assistance.
Objective: This assignment requires the student to read and understand some of the indigenous U.S. groups involved in domestic terrorism. This understanding leads the student to knowledge of the unique capabilities of these groups; comprehension of the structure to support their operations; and the ramifications of their activities successful or not. In this case the Weathermen transcend their operational period into positions of importance today.
Session Long Project
After reading the materials the students are tasked to answer the following questions about the Weathermen in a maximum of three pages:
- What was the vision of this organization? What operations did they conduct? What was the overall effect of those operations conducted?
- What was the strategic goal of this organization?
- Were they or are they successful? Explain.
- Do the standards, laws, surveillance, media, and overall view of the Weathermen apply equally to all domestic terrorist groups? Please explain your answer.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
- Your ability to comprehend the historical (past, present and future) significance of the Weathermen in the overall U.S. Domestic Terrorism paradigm and the potential differences in response and acceptance for and from this group compared to others in the spectrum.
- Some in-text references to modular background readings (APA formatting requested) and a reference page.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Length: This SLP Assignment should be at least 2-3 pages not counting the title page and references.
References: At least two references should be included from academic sources (e.g. peer-reviewed journal articles). Required readings are included. Quoted material should not exceed 10% of the total paper (since the focus of these assignments is critical thinking). Use your own words and build on the ideas of others. When material is copied verbatim from external sources, it MUST be enclosed in quotes. The references should be cited within the text and also listed at the end of the assignment in the References section (preferably in APA format).
You'll get 1 file (20.6KB)