HLT-305 (Benchmark Assignment) Applying Decision-Making Models in Health Care
(Benchmark Assignment) Applying Decision-Making Models in Health Care
This is a benchmark assignment.
Choose an ethical decision-making model from among the following three discussed in the lecture and other readings: Nash’s 12 Questions for Moral Choices, Kidder’s Ethical Checkpoints, and Uustal’s Ethical Decision-Making Model. Apply your chosen model to the following ethical dilemma:
Your terminally ill patient told you at her last visit that, since her pain could no longer be completely controlled by any means, and in her opinion she was just waiting to die, she was going to Holland to participate in its physician-assisted suicide program.
What would your advice to this patient be? In a 500-750 word paper, include a letter to your patient offering your insights and recommendations regarding this decision.
In addition, following your letter, include a subsection in which you address the following when completing this assignment:
- Explain the theory of the chosen ethical decision-making model as it relates to this scenario. What effect have this and other models had on medical practice over the years?
- Should a doctor be able to end the life of an individual who is suffering and who has no hope of recovery? Why or why not?
- How might a living will be used, or not, to guide an individual's end of life decisions?
- How does the use of technology complicate the dying process?
- Include at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed references from the GCU Library to support your positions.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
You'll get a 17.0KB .DOCX file.