Assignment 1: COMP 4040-6040
Please complete this assignment on your own and submit it as pdf.
1. (20 pts)
• Download, install Python in Windows environment
• Run a "hello world" program in Python in Windows environment
• Download install Python in Linux environment
• Run a "hello world" program in in Python in Linux environment
• Download , install C#
• Run a “hello world” program in C# Include the screenshots of each of your step.
Tips: You can download Virtual Box and Ubuntu to setup/run Python in a Linux environment. For C#, you can download Visual Studio to run your program in a .NET environment.
2. What is the disadvantage of having too many features in a language? (10 pts)
3. Why is readability important to writability? (5 pts)
4. What are three general methods of implementing a programming language? Explain them briefly with your own words. (10 pts)
5. Java uses a right brace to mark the end of all compound statements. What are the arguments for and against this design? (10 pts)
6. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of some programming environment you have used. (10 pts)
7. What is one example of a lack of orthogonality in the design of C? Explain it with your own words. (10 pts)
a) What programming language has dominated scientific computing over the past 60 years? (2 pts)
b) What programming language has dominated business applications over the past 60 years? (1 pts)
c) What programming language has dominated artificial intelligence over the past 60 years? (1 pts)
d) In what language is most of UNIX written? (1 pts)
9. What arguments can you make for the idea of a single language for all programming domains? (10 pts)
10. Why is the von Neumann bottleneck important? (10 pts)
You'll get a 114.8KB .DOCX file.