BUS 230 Week 9 Discussion 1, 2 and Quiz
Course outcome in focus:
· Describe global supply management.
· Explain the legal and ethics considerations in purchasing and supply management.
· Chapter 14: Global Supply Management
· Chapter 15: Legal and Ethics
· Download and read the Global Competitiveness Report found at http://gcr.weforum.org/gcr2010/. Focusing specifically on Asia, pay attention to the assessment categories. Be ready to discuss what other possible assessments would be needed.
Lecture 1 Topics:
· The importance of global supply
· Selecting and managing offshore suppliers
· Incoterms (International Commercial Terms)
· Tools for global supply
· Regional trading agreements
· Emerging markets
Lecture 2 Topics:
· Legal authority of buyer and seller
· The uniform commercial code
· Common law and the purchase of services
· Principles of the law of software contracts
· E-commerce and the law
· Intellectual property laws
· Product liability
· Alternative dispute resolution
· Regulatory requirements
· Corporate social responsibility (CSR)
Lecture on the importance of global supply, selecting and managing offshore suppliers, Incoterms (International Commercial Terms), tools for global supply, regional trading agreements, and emerging markets.
· Discussion 1: Global Suppliers. Students will respond to the following:
o Describe how organizations can overcome the geographic, cultural, and language challenges when seeking potential overseas suppliers. Give specific examples.
o Decide how organizations can instill the same ethical standards in overseas suppliers, especially Asian suppliers.
o Explain what other two (2) assessments, in addition to what is published in the Global Competitiveness Report, you might need to determine the risks and opportunities of an overseas supplier for your company or organization or institution. Expand on the value add of these two (2) assessments.
· Lecture on legal authority of buyer and seller, the uniform commercial code, common law and the purchase of services, principles of the law of software contracts, E-commerce and the law, intellectual property laws, product liability, alternative dispute resolution, regulatory requirements, ethics, and corporate social responsibility (CSR).
· Discussion 2: Ethics. Students will respond to the following:
o Pick two (2) items in the ISM Principles and Standards of Ethical Supply Management Conduct and IFPSM Code of Ethics and then explain how you could do better or improve on in your current practice.
o Explain the actions you might take when your company or your colleagues compromise ethical principles and codes based on your personal experiences.
o Describe three (3) ethical principles and codes that your company (or an organization you belong to and associate with) practices well, and how these practices help increase and grow the business.
· Week 9 Quiz
Students are to take the Week 9 quiz that covers the materials in Chapters 12 and 13. The quiz is located in the course shell under the Week 9 tab. This is an open book, timed quiz that can only be taken once with a time limit of two hours. The quiz consists of twenty multiple-choice questions with each question worth 6 points of a total of 120 points for this quiz.
Online students are to complete the quiz by Monday 9:00 a.m. On-ground students are to complete this quiz before the Week 9 class meeting.
You'll get a 17.7KB .DOCX file.